Located on the Yukon River near where the Tanana River enters
the Yukon. In the late 1800s and early 1900s this area was commonly
know as Weare. Site of an important trading post operated by N.A.T.
and T. Co.
1909 Alaska Almanac ~ Tanana is on the banks of the Yukon opposite
the mouth of the Tanana River. Ascending the river Fort Gibbon is
the first place reached next Weare then Tanana and then St James's
Episcopal Mission. The distance from Fort Gibbon to St James's Mission
is about three miles. Fort Gibbon Weare and Tanana are really one
community. Since the discovery of gold at Fairbanks and the development
of the Tanana gold fields the town of Tanana has become a place
of some importance. Several large companies have stores and warehouses
here and there is also a number of hotels restaurants and saloons.
The population including Fort Gibbon is about 400 Most of the freight
for the Tanana River points is reshipped at Tanana as it is impracticable
for the large Yukon River steamers to ascend the Tanana River.