Alaska Gold Rush History & Genealogy
AKA Moose Village &
River is located on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, 2 miles
north of its junction with the Stony River. The village is 100 miles
east of Aniak, 185 miles northeast of Bethel, and 225 miles west of
Anchorage. It lies at approximately 61° 47' N Latitude, 156°
35' W Longitude (Sec. 31, T020N, R040W, Seward Meridian). The community
is located in the Kuskokwim Recording District.
Also known as Moose Village and Moose Creek, it began as a trading
post and riverboat landing to supply mining operations to the north.
The first trading post opened in 1930, and a post office was established
in 1935. Area Natives used these facilities, but it wasn't until the
early 1960s that families established year-round residency and a school
was constructed. Approximately 75 people lived in the village in the
1960s, 70s and 80s.