Located on the right bank of the Kobuk River about 150 miles east
of Kotzebue. The original settlement was 10 miles further upstream
at Kobuk. It lies at approximately 66° 52' N Latitude, 157°
09' W Longitude (Sec. 09, T017N, R008E, Kateel River Meridian).
The community is located in the Kotzebue Recording District.
Founded in 1899 as a supply point for mining activities in the
Cosmos Hills, this Inupiat Eskimo village was forced to move in
the 1920s because of river erosion and flooding. The old site, 10
miles upstream, was renamed Kobuk by those who remained there. The
new village was named "Kochuk," but later reverted to