Quinhagak is on the Kanektok River on the east shore of Kuskokwim
Bay, less than a mile from the Bering Sea coast. It's 71 miles southwest
of Bethel. It lies at approximately 59° 45' N Latitude, 161°
54' W Longitude (Sec. 17, T005S, R074W, Seward Meridian). The community
is located in the Bethel Recording District.
Quinhagak's origin has been dated to 1,000 A.D. After the purchase
of Alaska in 1867, the Alaska Commercial Co. sent annual supply
ships to Quinhagak with goods for the companies Kuskokwim River
trading posts. Supplies were stored in a building on Warehouse Creek.
A Moravian Mission was built in 1893. There were many non-Natives
in the village at that time; most waiting for boats to go upriver.
In 1904 a mission store opened, followed by a post office in 1905
and a school in 1909.