Mountain Village is on the north bank of the Yukon River, approximately
20 miles west of St. Mary's and 470 miles northwest of Anchorage.
It is at the foot of the 500' Azachorok Mountain, the first mountain
encountered by those traveling up the Yukon. It lies at approximately
62° 05' N Latitude, 163° 43' W Longitude (Sec. 14, T023N,
R079W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel
Recording District. The area encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and
1 sq. miles of water.
Mountain Village was a summer fish camp until the opening of a general
store in 1908. This prompted residents of Liberty Landing and Johnny's
Place to immigrate. A Covenant Church missionary school was also
built in that same year. A post office was established in 1923,
followed by a salmon saltery in 1956 and a cannery in 1964. All
three have since ceased operating.