Located on the west bank of the Tolovana River, 130 miles northwest
of Fairbanks. It lies on an 11-mile spur road off of the Elliott
Highway. It lies at approximately 64° 53' N Latitude, 149°
11' W Longitude (Sec. 23, T004N, R009W, Fairbanks Meridian). The
community is located in the Manley Hot Springs Recording District.
The area encompasses 163 sq. miles of land and 4 sq. miles of water.
With the discovery of gold north of Fairbanks in 1902, steamboats
began to navigate the Tanana River, bringing goods and new residents
into the area. Old Minto became a permanent settlement when some
members of the Minto band built log cabins there, on the bank of
the Tanana River. Other families lived in tents on a seasonal basis.
A BIA school was established in 1937.
In 1909 there was a telegraph station at Minto.