Knik was once the landing/supply point for mines in the Talkeetna
mts./Hatcher pass area it served Grubstake and Willow creek. The
town was founded around the turn of the century at an existing indian
village. By 1915 it had about 500 white families. That year the
Govt. began the Alaska RR. which bypassed Knik and the town died.
In 1902 George Palmer received the mail contract. Some buildings
were moved to Wasilla at the railhead. The town was deserted by
1919 except Palmers store. Submitted by: Carl Birdsell