Alaska Gold Rush History & Genealogy

Ketchikan is located on the western coast of Revillagigedo Island, near the southernmost boundary of Alaska. It is 679 miles north of Seattle and 235 miles south of Juneau. The abundant fish and timber resources attracted non-Natives to Ketchikan. In 1885, Mike Martin bought 160 acres from Chief Kyan, which later became the township. The first cannery opened in 1886 near the mouth of Ketchikan Creek and four more were built by 1912. The Ketchikan Post Office was established in 1892. In the late 1890s, nearby gold and copper discoveries briefly brought activity to Ketchikan as a mining supply center.

 

HomeGenealogy Photo CollectionsTowns & Gold CampsCreeksFraternal OrganizationsCemeteries Maps Newspapers Mining Districts

©2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Nugget Ranch LLC