Kenai is located at 60°33'31?N 151°13'47?W60.55861°N
151.22972°W (60.558738, -151.229616).
Kenai is located on the west side of the Kenai Peninsula near the
outlet of the Kenai River to the Cook Inlet of the Pacific Ocean.
In 1791, a Russian trading post, Fort St. Nicholas, was constructed
in the middle of the village for the purposes of fur and fish trading.
It was the second permanent Russian settlement in Alaska.
In 1869, after the Alaska Purchase the United States Army established
a post called Fort Kenay. It was soon abandoned.
In 1888 a prospector named Alexander King discovered gold on the
Kenai Peninsula. The amount of gold was small compared to the later
gold finds in the Klondike, Nome and Fairbanks.