Huslia originally spelled Huslee. is located on the north bank
of the Koyukuk River, about 170 river miles northwest of Galena
and 290 air miles west of Fairbanks. It lies at approximately 65° 41'
N Latitude, 156° 24' W Longitude (Sec. 33, T004N, R012E, Kateel
River Meridian). The community is located in the Nulato Recording
.By 1843, Russian explorers had made contact with Athabascans approximately
50 miles downriver from the current site. The Western Union Telegraph
Company explored the River around 1867, and missionary activity
increased after 1870. Cutoff Trading Post (also called Old Town)
was established in the 1920s about 4 miles overland, or 16 river
miles, from modern Huslia.