Fort Yukon is located at 66°34'2?N 145°15'23?W66.56722°N
145.25639°W (66.567586, -145.256327). Fort Yukon is located
on the north bank of the Yukon River at its junction with the Porcupine
River, about 145 miles northeast of Fairbanks.
Fort Yukon was first established as Fort Youcon by Alexander Hunter
Murray as a Hudson's Bay Company trading post in 1847. While the
post was actually in Russian America, the Hudson's Bay Company continued
to trade there until expelled by the American traders in 1869, following
the Alaska Purchase when the post was taken over by the Alaska Commercial
Company. A post office was established on July 12, 1898 with John
Hawksly as its first postmaster, but the settlement suffered over
the following decades as a result of several epidemics and a 1949
flood. The Klondike gold rush spurred economic activity.
1909 Alaska Alamnic ~ Fort Yukon is a trading post and post office
on the Yukon River near the mouth of Porcupine River. Fort Yukon
is on the elbow of the big bend of the Yukon at the place where
the river touches the most northerly latitude in its entire course.
The post of Fort Yukon is a few miles above the Arctic Circle. It
was established by the Hudson Bay Company in 1847. There are a native
school and mission at Fort Yukon and a few stores conducted by traders
it being the nearest base of supplies for the Chandalar mining region.
The population is not more than twenty five whites and 125 natives.