In 1904, the U.S. Army Signal Corps built the McCarty Telegraph
station on a site near a roadhouse established the previous year
at the confluence of the Tanana and Delta rivers. The Chisana gold
strike of 1913 brought many hopeful prospectors to the area. In
the 1920s, many American Bison were brought to the area, and in
1927 the name was changed to Buffalo Center.
In 1942, five miles south of Deltana, Fort Greely was constructed.