Alaska Gold Rush History & Genealogy

On the Seward Peninsula seventy miles northeasterly from Nome near the mouth of the Niukluk a tributary of Fish River. It was one of the first mining camps on the Peninsula as the discovery of gold was made here before the famous strike on Anvil Creek During the period of greatest activity on Ophir Creek in the Council district the town of Council had a population of 1,000 people but the population is only a few hundred by 1909. Council is situated in the timber belt and was a town composed principally of log structures It presents an entirely different aspect from the coast towns as there is not a tree within seventy miles of Nome Like all other towns in this region Council was supported entirely by mining It was a sort of base of supplies for prospectors who venture farther inland It is accessible by water by way of Golovin Bay and Fish River A narrow gauge railroad seven miles long connected Council with the Ophir Creek mines.

HomeGenealogy Photo CollectionsTowns & Gold CampsCreeksFraternal OrganizationsCemeteries Maps Newspapers Mining Districts

©2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Nugget Ranch LLC