The Shungnak district is in the Kobuk River valley between lat 66°50' and 67°10' N. and long 156°50' and 157°25' W. This was the major gold producing district of Northwestern Alaska, having had a total production valued at approximately $200,000 (about 9,700 ounces) to 1930 (Smith and Mertie, 1930, p. 321). From 1930 through 1959 a few hundred more ounces were mined. The total production through 1959 probably was between 10,000 and 15,000 ounces. The district was activated by the rush to the Kobuk River valley in 1898, but by 1910 it was almost deserted (Smith and Eakin, 1911, p. 271). Small amounts of gold were produced through the succeeding years to 1955. Much of the district is underlain by metasedimentary rocks consisting of quartzose schist crystalline limestone, and sheared conglomerate. Locally these rocks are mineralized and the gold placers are thought to be derived from such deposits (Smith and Eakin, 1911, p. 282-284).