Alaska Gold Rush History and Genealogy

 
   

 

   

The Redoubt district is the area drained by streams flowing into Cook Inlet between Cape Douglas on the south and (but excluding) the Susitna River on the north.

The only successful placer mining in the district was on Lewis ‘River (15), which heads in a swampy basin west of Mount Susitna. Below the basin the stream follows a valley in Jurassic “er Cretaceous granitic rocks and a small patch of Tertiary conglomerate before it crosses a low coastal plain covered with Quaternary surficial deposits. Coarse gold worth perhaps $2,000 was recovered during prospecting in 1916—17, and an unknown but probably small amount was recovered in 1956—57. As some of the gold had fragments of quartz attached to it, the major source was probably small veins in the granitic rocks, although some gold may have been reconcentrated from Tertiary conglomerate. In 1902 an unsuccessful attempt was made to recover gold from he Beluga River (Brooks, 1918, p. 45) southwest of Mount Susitna, but the location of this venture is not known. Bates and Wedow (1953, p. 8) reported monazite and zircon in placer samples from the Mount Spurr area of the northern part of the Redoubt district; the source and mode of occurrence of the material represented by the samples are unknown.

 


HomeGenealogy Photo CollectionsTowns & Gold CampsCreeksFraternal OrganizationsMaps NewspapersMining Districts
© 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Nugget Ranch LLC