The Kougarok district is in the central part of the Seward Peninsula between lat 65°10'. and 65° 45' N. and long 164°20' and 165°20' W. The district began producing gold in 1900, after the initial discoveries the previous year sparked a rush from Nome (Brooks, in Collier and others, 1908, p. 306-307). Because of its remoteness and its paucity of bonanza-type deposits, the district developed slowly. Water shortage necessitated the construction of ditches. By 1906 several ditches were completed and sufficient water for larger scale operations was assured. Afterward, the Kougarok placers were moderately productive and were active in 1957. A total of about 150,400 ounces of gold has been produced from the district, all from placers. This is a minimum total as data for 1931-46 are incomplete. The geology of the district was discussed by Brooks (in Collier and others, 1908, p. 297-298) and is summarized as follows. The bedrock consists of the Kigluaik and Nome Groups-the former is predominantly schist and granite; the latter is made up of a sequence of phyllite, schist, greenstone, and a consistent unit, the Port Clarence Limestone. The schistose rocks of the Nome Group contain small auriferous quartz veinlets and stringers which appear to be the source of the placer gold that has been concentrated into minable quantities in present stream gravels, bench gravels, and floodplain gravels. The lodes themselves are not of economic value.