The Eagle district is between lat 64°35' and 65° 15' N. and long 141 °00' and 142°40' W., along Seventymile, American, and Fourth of July Creeks, - all tributaries that enter the Yukon River near Alaska's eastern boundary. Placer gold was first found in 1895 along American Creek, and production began the following year (Mertie, 1938, p. 190). Although it attracted few miners, the Eagle district maintained a small annual production even through the difficult postWorld War II_ years. Production data before 1906 cannot be found and was probably reported under some other district. Total recorded production for the Eagle district from 1906 through 1959 is 40,220 ounces, all from placers. The district is underlain in the southwest by a large mass of granite of Late Jurassic age that has intruded and thrust upward a series of Precambrian and Paleozoic sedimentary rocks that are now exposed in northwestward-trending bands in the central and northern parts of the district. Lower Cretaceous marine rocks are exposed in the northern part of the district and these are succeeded by a thick series of fresh-water deposits of Late Cretaceous and Eocene age (Mertie, 1930, pl. 12). Post Eocene uplift caused much of this covering to be removed. Unconsolidated deposits of sand and gravel of Pleistocene and Recent age are in the stream valleys. These sediments reflect a complex geomorphic cycle involving local glaciation, climatic changes, and changes in base level (Mertie, 1930, p. 147-148). The gold placers are in present stream gravels. The gold in these deposits came originally from small veins related to the granitic mass in the southwest part of the area, but much gold also came from ancient placers in the Upper Cretaceous and Eocene clastics (Mertie, 1930, p. 161-162).