Alaska Gold Rush History and Genealogy

 
   

CHISTOCHINA DISTRICT

 

   

US Geological Paper 610

The Chistochina district is in the northwest part of the Copper River basin near the intersection of lat 63°00' N. and long 145°00' W. The drainage area of the Chistochina River, including the southern foothills of the Alaska Range, roughly determines the boundaries of this district. , The initial gold discoveries of the Copper River region were made in this district along the Chisna River in 1898 by Hazelet and Meals (Moffit, 1944, p. 27). Slate Creek and Miller Gulch later became the leading gold-producing areas. Production from this district began in 1900 and continued, though at a diminishing rate in the later years, to 1942. From 1942 to 1959 the district was almost dormant, with only sporadic small-scale activity. Total production from 1900 through 1959 was about 141,000 ounces, all from placers. Production data from 1931 through 1945 are not complete. Bedrock in the district consists of Carboniferous and Permian clastic and sedimentary rocks-predominantly shale, limestone, conglomerate and some sandstone-and subordinate volcanic tuffs and lava flows. All the foregoing rocks are cut by dikes (Moffit, 1944, p. 28). The gold placers were formed by reworking of glacial debris and occur in bench gravels as well as present stream gravels.

HomeGenealogy Photo CollectionsTowns & Gold CampsCreeksFraternal OrganizationsMaps NewspapersMining Districts
© 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Nugget Ranch LLC