The Chandalar district, between lat 67°00' and 68°10' N. and long 147°00' and 150°00' W., includes the upper drainage of the Chandalar River. The Chandalar district, which began producing placer gold in 1906, is one of the small producers of the Yukon basin. Total placer production through 1959 was 30,708 ounces. Cobb (1962) indicated small but undisclosed lode production from the district. Lode deposits, which have been known in the district for many years, have recently received renewed attention. In 1961 the Little Squaw Mining Co. reported blocking out an ore body worth $1,013,000 in gold (Mining World, 1961). The geology given here is generalized from a more detailed account by Mertie (1925, p. 223-252). Schists, resembling the Birch Creek Schist, of Precambrian or early Paleozoic age are the oldest rocks in the district and are found in the southern part. Other schists and phyllites of early Paleozoic age compose the bedrock in the central part of the district, north of the area underlain by Birch Creek ( ?) Schist. Silurian limestone and dolomite and Devonian slate occur still farther north. In the southwest corner, Devonian or Mississippian rocks unconformably overlie the schists, and a small patch of Upper Cretaceous sandstone caps the sequence. Igneous rocks in the district consist of granite, granodiorite, and basic lavas, that range in age from Late Silurian or Early Devonian to Tertiary. The schists contain numerous small auriferous quartz veins and stringers that no doubt were the source of the gold in the placers. Both preglacial and postglacial gravels have been productive.